Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Stray thoughts

Good God, it's been a long time since I've posted here. I blame work. (Hey, actually, I really CAN blame work -- last post May 21, first day... May 21? In that stand of the ballpark.) I also blame, in a good way, the Jukebox, where I've been doing some writing.

But now those CDs I burned for the commute (I traded up from 40 to 50 minutes!) are all scratched up and I have things to say.

- OMG is the most depressing song ever, no? I'm mystified that "oh my god" is way too offensive to say but "honey got some boobies like wow oh wow" somehow isn't. (Although maybe my ears are wonky, but doesn't it sound like will.i.am is saying the real thing?) If you needed an example of how American culture has its priorities seriously mixed up, this is it.

Maybe it'll accomplish something good, though! Maybe it'll excise "loving one's style" from the lexicon, even though the "lexicon" here is primarily that of teen magazines. No, Cosmo Girl, he doesn't "love your style," or if he does, it's only insofar as it reveals the proper latitude/longitude of skin.

- So there was a video for Alejandro. It's a step up from her last one, thankfully, and even if it's just bleak atmospheric piffle, it uses that for all it's worth.

But correct me if I'm wrong, and I can't be very wrong: Is every single person in the Alejandro video pasty as hell or what? Like, you name your song "Alejandro" and you talk about two other guys named Roberto and Fernando who may or may not be Alejandro too and bleagh tangent, but you get to the video and there's a bunch of questionably-SS dudes with oil-slicked sea otters on their heads. What?

It gets me thinking. The last video you did with a lot of half-naked dancer guys was LoveGame. (Telephone and Paparazzi were too short-film; the dancers in Bad Romance weren't guys.) And LoveGame didn't have this problem, from what I remember of the video. It had a nice diverse cast of half-naked dancer guys. They were also playing criminals. So let's recap here: overtly hawt soldier objects of lust = ALL PASTY; less overtly hawt (or at least not specifically cast to blare that) criminal objects of standoffishness = NOT ALL PASTY.

I don't like this pattern; it's beginning to sour the song for me. Make me want to listen to Ace of Base even more. Except the guy there is a confirmed white supremacist, or was at least, so I don't even know.

- I remain perplexed as to why the radio is just NOW finding out about La Roux and look forward to Little Boots hitting in summer 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment